Bacon-Wrapped Mini Salmon Cakes with Asparagus
- 10 oz salmon, boneless
- coconut or olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely diced onion
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 2/3 c. pine nuts
- 1 tbsp mayonaise or sour cream
- 1 tsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1 tbsp fresh chives
- 1 egg white
- 12 fresh asparagus spears split in to three pieces
- 12 pieces of thick cut bacon (if to long, cut in half)
1. In a pan, cook the salmon with the coconut oil (you can use olive oil), breaking apart as you cook.
2. When this is finished stick in a bowl in the fridge to cool down.
3. Either in a blender or a food processor, blend the pine nuts until coarse. The nuts are very moist and work great as a binder and give the cake a nutty taste.
4. In another pan, melt butter and add garlic and onions and cook until trnaslucent.
5. Remove salmon from fridge and add cooked onions/garlic, egg white, pine nuts, mayo, cheese, mustard, old bay, and chives (basically everything except the bacon and asparagus).
6. Mix well and put back in fridge to chill for at least an hour. This helps make the mixture firmer and easier to work with.
7. Lay out the strips of bacon lengthwise and place a few pieces of asparagus perpendicular to the bacon.
8. Put a good sized mini cake amount of the salmon mixture, roll up tightly, and hold with a toothpick.
9. I put these right on foil but because of the bacon grease, the bottom of the bacon never got crispy so I recommend you put these on a raised tray with foil lined underneath to catch drippage.
10. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, checking often, serve.
Yield: 12 Mini-Cakes