- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
- 1 large (1 1/4-pound) skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lime
- 1 large sweet onion, halved, cut into thin strips
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 large poblano or Anaheim chile, seeded, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 2 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 12 corn tortillas, warmed according to package directions
- Lime wedges
1. Combine chipotle, cumin, oregano, and salt in a small cup. Rub steak pieces with 1 tablespoon of the oil, then with spice mixture.
2. Squeeze juice from lime half over steak pieces. Heat a stove-top grill pan over medium heat.
3. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, and chile; sauté 4 minutes. Add garlic and continue to sauté 4 to 6 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
4. Remove from heat; stir in cilantro and season with kosher salt and pepper.
5. Grill steaks 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Remove from grill; let rest 5 minutes.
6. Slice against the grain and serve with pepper mixture, warm tortillas, and lime wedges.
Yield: 4 Servings