- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 4 cucumbers, peeled, halved, seeded, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 5 cups)
- 1 8-ounce russet potato, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
- 3 large fresh dill sprigs plus 6 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon (or more) salt
- 1 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 3 ounces smoked salmon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (LOX)
Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add cucumbers and potato; stir 1 minute. Add broth, dill sprigs, and 1 teaspoon salt. Increase heat and bring to simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until cucumbers and potato are tender, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
Working in batches, puree soup in processor until smooth. Return to pot. Cool 15 minutes. Whisk in 1/2 cup crème fraîche and 4 tablespoons minced dill. Cover and chill until cold, about 4 hours. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled. Taste soup, adding more salt if desired. Ladle soup into 6 bowls. Place dollop of crème fraîche in center of each bowl; sprinkle with smoked salmon and remaining 2 tablespoons minced dill.
Yield: 6 servings