- 1 pound fresh crabmeat, picked over
- 2 cups crushed Ritz crackers, divided
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup canned evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
1. Mix crabmeat and 1 cup cracker crumbs in a large bowl. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add green pepper and onion; sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
2. Add to bowl with crab mixture. Stir in evaporated milk, dijon mustard, Worcestershire, salt, and pepper. Cover; chill for 1-6 hours.
3. Using scant 1/4 cup for each, form crab mixture into sixteen 1 1/2″-diameter balls. Whisk whole milk and egg in a medium bowl.
4. Place remaining 1 cup cracker crumbs in another medium bowl. Roll balls in egg mixture, then coat well with crumbs. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet.
5. Pour oil into a large wide pot to a depth of 2″. Attach a deep-fry thermometer to side of pot. Heat oil to 350°. Working in batches and turning occasionally, fry crab balls until golden brown, 4-6 minutes per batch.
6. Transfer to paper towels and serve,
Yield: 16 Balls