- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium eggplant, (about 1 lb.), peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 each eggs, beaten
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 each garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 each (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/2 cup shredded Fresh basil, divided
- (2) 12″ tortillas
- 4 oz Fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1. Prepare the eggplant. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 2 rimmed baking sheets with olive oil cooking spray, then drizzle each with 11/2 tsp. of the oil and spread with a paper towel. Preheat the oiled pans for 10 minutes.
- 2. Dip eggplant slices in the beaten egg, then the breadcrumbs. Arrange in a singlelayer on the oiled, preheated pans and cook 10 minutes. Turn slices over and bake another 10 minutes. Crumbs should be crisp and browned. Remove from oven; leave oven on.
- 3. While eggplant is cooking, prepare the tomato sauce. In a medium saucepan, heatthe remaining 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir for 30seconds. Add tomatoes and sugar, bring to a simmer, and cook, uncovered, stirringoccasionally, for 15 minutes. The sauce should thicken slightly. Stir in salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup of the shredded basil. Remove from heat.
- 4. Assemble the tortillas. Place a layer of eggplant slices in the center of the tortilla. Spoon some of the tomato sauce over the eggplant, then top with mozzarella slices and the remaining 1/4 cup basil. Cover with another layer of eggplant topped by more tomato sauce. Reserve any remaining sauce for serving. Cover with bread top.
- 5. Wrap the sandwich in aluminum foil and place directly on a rack in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, until cheese is softened and bread is heated through. Unwrap, slice into quarters, and serve immediately, with any extra sauce in a bowl or jar on the side for dipping.
Yield: 2 wraps