Margarita and Spot Prawn Cocktail
- 1 1/2 lb medium shrimp with shells (21-25 Prawns)
- 4 C water
- 2 t sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 2 t lime juice
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1/2 C fresh cilantro, chopped fine for garnish
- 1/2 C orange juice
- 1/2 C chili sauce or ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 T tequila
- 2 T olive oil
- 1/2 t Kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Dash of red pepper sauce
1. Remove shells from shrimp, leaving tails intact. Set shells aside for the stock. Using a small, pointed knife or shrimp deveine tool, make a shallow cut lengthwise down the back of each shrimp, then wash out the vein.
2. On the stove top heat shrimp shells, 4 cups water and 2 teaspoons salt to boiling over high heat. Add wine, 2 tablespoons lime juice, the peppercorns and handful of cilantro.
3. Reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook 30 minutes.
4. Strain stock through strainer into large bowl and discard shells, peppercorns and cilantro. Return stock to same pan and heat to boiling over high heat. Add shrimp; remove pan from heat. Cover and let stand 8 to 10 minutes until shrimp are pink and firm.
5. Meanwhile, fill large bowl half full with ice and water. Strain stock through strainer and plunge shrimp into ice bath. (Strain stock over large bowl if you want to keep for another purpose.) Shrimp can be refrigerated in ice water for several hours.
6. In medium bowl, mix all sauce ingredients. (Don’t use aluminum bowl because the acid in the sauce may react.) Stir in cooked shrimp to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 30 minutes but no longer than 3 hours.
7. Serve cold.
Yield: 6 Servings