Pacific Rim Coconut Prawns w/ Malibu Sauce
- olive oil for cooking
- 12 large Prawns (16-20 ct.) I prefer Spot Prawns, peeled and devained
- 1 C shredded sweeteneed coconut flakes
- 1 C panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 4 eggs, whipped (egg wash)
- parchment paper
- 1 C pina colada drink mix
- 1/2 C malibu rum
- 1/2 C coconut milk
- 3 T sweetened coconut flakes
- 4 T powdered sugar
- 4 T crushed pineapple
- 1 T cornstach
- 2 T cold water
Peel, devaine and rinse shrimp. Dredge in flour, then egg wash, then roll in coconut flakes/panko mixture. Place on parchment paper and freeze 1 hour, so coconut sets up.
To make sauce place pina colada mix, malibu rum, sugar, pineapple, coconut milk and flakes into a saucepan over medium high heat and boil. Reduce by 1/4. Add cornstarch slurry until you reach the desired consistency.
In a large saute’pan, over high heat, add olive oil so that it is 1/4″ deep, heat until 350*, and cook prawns one to two minutes a side, until golden brown.
Yield: 12 Prawns