- 1½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup clam stock
- 16 littleneck clams, scrubbed clean
- 8 mussels, scrubbed clean
- 16 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage, casing removed and crumbled (homemade or nitrate free)
- 2 chicken thighs, cubed (boneless and skinless)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 head cauliflower (about 4 cups chopped)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- lemon wedges for garnish
1. Place the cauliflower floretts in a blender or food processor, and chop finely until it resembles short-grain rice. Set off to the side.
2. Combine the chicken stock and clam juice in a saucepan set over medium heat. Keep warm while you cook the meat.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken pieces and sausage. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to brown the chicken on all sides.
4. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, onion, garlic, tomatoes, salt, paprika, pepper, and saffron. Continue to sauté for another 7 minutes until the onions have softened.
5. Pour ¾ cup of the broth mixture into the skillet, stirring to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Stir in the riced cauliflower and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Bring the remaining broth to a boil, then add the clams and mussels. Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes, until the shells have opened up. Discard any that haven’t opened. Remove the shellfish with a slotted spoon and set aside.
7. Add the shrimp to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, until pink. Set aside with the shellfish.
8. When the cauliflower is tender and most of the juices have evaporated, nestle the shrimp, clams, and mussels into the paella. Cook for another 10 minutes then remove from the heat. Let the paella stand for 10 minutes before serving.
9. Sprinkle the parsley over the top and serve each dish with a lemon wedge. Paella is best with a squeeze of fresh lemon right before eating.
Yield: 4 Servings