- 12 large (16 to 20 count) shrimp, peeled and deveined, about 3/4 lb.
- 1 large red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 20 squares
- 1 large sweet onion, quartered and each quarter cut into half pieces separated
- 12 sea scallops, about 3/4 lb.
- 1 large green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and cut into 20 squares
- 1/2 teaspoon lime peel, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 8 (7 to 9-inch) flour tortillas, warmed
- Red and Green Salsa
- 2 firm-ripe avocados, peeled, seeded and chopped into small squares
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1-1/2 cups prepared salsa
Thread the shrimp, red pepper and half the onion onto four 12-inch skewers, running the skewer through each shrimp twice. Thread the scallops, green pepper and remaining onion onto 4 more skewers. Place on a large shallow platter. Combine the lime peel, lime juice, oil, honey, garlic, pepper and salt. Pour over the skewers and marinate, turning occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes. Red and Green Salsa To make the salsa, toss the avocado with the lime juice and gently stir into the prepared salsa. Let stand 20 minutes or refrigerate up to 24 hours. Coat the grill rack with vegetable cooking spray. Place kebobs on grill rack 4 to 6 inches over medium-hot coals. Grill, turning once, just until the seafood is opaque, allowing about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Wrap tortillas in aluminum foil and heat them on the grill. To make the fajitas, slide the seafood and vegetables off of each skewer into a warm tortilla. Add “red and green salsa” to taste. Roll up tortilla to enclose the filling. Eat fajitas out of hand. Serve with refried beans or Mexican rice, if desired.
Yield: 4 Servings